So you're getting married! What now?!
Let's face it, Facebook, your friends, your mom, and the entire multi-billion dollar wedding industry are telling you what you need to do next. But take a deep breath, and listen to me when I tell you YOU DON'T HAVE TO LISTEN TO THEM.
Weddings are one area where our society has gone a little off the rails with traditions and etiquette that people think we need to follow in order to "do it right" or have a "great" wedding, but the fact of the matter is that your wedding can only be great if it's great FOR YOU. That can mean eloping at the courthouse in your jeans and t-shirt. That can mean a backyard wedding at your house. That can mean a 300-person wedding with a six-figure budget. Whatever works for you and your partner is what you should do.
So if all you know is that you want to do things your own way, here is some advice to help you get the ball rolling. We can't wait to see what your celebration of love looks like!
Starting the Process
- 12 Questions to Determine What Kind of Wedding You Should Have
Making a Wedding Budget
Finding Great Vendors
- Why Do I Need A Wedding Planner?
Planning Your Engagement Photo Session
Picking Out Rings
Picking Your Outfit
How to Make Sure You're Feeling Yourself aka Beauty
- Black BeauTEA Talk // 7 Myths About Black Beauty
Building an Ethical Wedding Registry
Building Your Guest List
- Ask A Wedding Planner // 9 Ways to Be A Kick-Ass Wedding Guest
Sending Save The Dates & Invitations
- Tutorial: How To Address Envelopes in the 21st Century
Vows & Ceremony Planning
- Incorporating Ceremony and Ritual into Bridal Showers, Bachelor/ette Parties, and Weddings // River and Root
Wedding Favors and Gifts for Guests
- More and Less // February + Favors
Navigating Having Wedding Attendants
- Enough with the Penis Straws at Bachelorette Parties
Getting Through Your Wedding Day
- Mindfulness on Your Wedding Day // Meditate Because Everything Else Can Wait
Planning Your Honeymoon
Cherishing Your Wedding Photos
- Ask A Wedding Photographer // Taking Care of Your Digital Pictures
Marriage, Parenting, and Beyond
- 6 Ways to Approach the Challenges of Being the Non-Biological Parent in A Two-Mom Family